56km (34.79 miles) is far!! Driving should take you around half and hour (if you aren’t Sarel Van Der Merwe’s daughter), running took me 6 hours and 14 minutes…
As I mentioned in “Longest Run, Ever – Part 1” you HAVE to (apparently) do a long, slow run before the Comrades to firstly see if you are on schedule with your training, and secondly to test different things like food, where and when you start chafing and to get your toilet stops down to the shortest possible time.
I was a bit nervous setting out in the dark and cold on Saturday morning, having never run more than 42.2km’s before and not knowing how my body was going to react (the prospect of chafe is never a pleasant one).
This is what I learned:
· Jelly babies and Saltycrax biscuits make the most delicious combination
· Peeing on the side of the road is pretty easy if done behind a car
· Clearly my training (and the break I took to get over my cold) is all paying off
· I get blisters at about 45km’s where my big toe meets my foot
· My chafe is minimal and will be easily remedied with some Vaseline
· I should eat at EVERY opportunity to keep myself from feeling nauseous
With my trusty seconds Nicolene and Erin meeting me along the way for the required cheerleading and Mary even running the last 3Km’s with me, I couldn’t have asked for a better team. Thanks to Michael (one of my running buddies) too for running with me most of the way and for providing enough ammunition for me to make fun of you, keeping my mind off of the fact that I was running 56km’s (I still think you are too old to be going to Vortex!!).
This run is awesome, taking the most spectacular route (and hills) with fabulous support at the water tables which were fully stocked with anything a runner could ask for, plus at the end we had the choice of 3 different soups to warm our rain soaked bodies and replenish everything you use up during a run such as this. Well done Fishoek Athletic Club!!!
So to those of you who have pledged money against me finishing the Comrades Marathon, I hope you have started saving!!